Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Lazy Girl's Guide to Fitness

I hate working out. With a passion. But there are ways to cheat the "system," so to speak, without short-changing yourself. Work smarter, not harder, I say. If you enjoy working out-- go for it! This posting isn't for you.
First-- get youself a pair of FitFlops. Don't get the stupid tennis shoes that look like moon shoes... get the prettiest FitFlop you can find. I have the Pietra in pewter. Now, there's some studies that say fitness shoes don't work... but I think the FitFlop is great. They are $60... which I admt is pricey.. but they're cute and super comfy, so I'm in. Wear them when you walk your dog, wear them on vacation, whatever. Just don't wear them sitting on the couch or they definitely won't work!

Next, get some cellulite cream. Now, if you don't have cellulite, great... you can skip this part. If you don't know if you have it... then you probably don't! I like Nivea Good-Bye Cellulite Fast Acting Serum. It's fairly inexpensive and it works. You have to use it everyday, just slap some on after the shower and you're good to go. 
Another cream I like is FatGirl Slim and FatGirl Sleep by Bliss. It's a bit more pricey, at about $30 per jar... but it works. Sometimes the Bliss website has sales and specials where you can buy one and get one free or half-price or something like that. I only buy mine if there's a special. Tightens the skin right up. 







Finally, the hard part: Actually working out. There's lots of different workouts you can do... anything you can do to get moving I count as exercise. I go for a 30 minute walk every day, so I count that (in my FitFlops, of course!) Make it fun. Bring you dog or go with a friend or talk on the phone. The time will pass faster. If you have hills in your neighborhood like I do-- all the better. Take the long way, don't cheat yourself.
Go for a swim. Hang out with your friends at the pool and sneak in some laps. Swimming is the perfect exercise because there's no stress on the joints and you don't sweat! Bonus points for riding your bike to the pool.
Another thing I just started is the 10 minute trainer. It's a series of exercises on a DVD that are meant to tone the body --and it only takes 10 minutes! And trust me, it's no joke-- you will be sweating and your muscles will be sore. But really, since it's so short, it's not that bad. Think of it as the CliffsNotes for P90X. I've only been doing it a few days, so I will let you know if it really works. I think there's a 30-day guarantee or something, so if it doesn't do the trick, at least I get my $80 back. Anyway, can't hurt to try, right?


2 comments: